Willie Schubert and Charlotte Thormeyer Schubert

Their Ancestors and Their Descendants


A Genealogical Report










(Researched and Compiled by Wilton E. Schubert)

It seems that:

While we are young, we judge ourselves solely In fantasy. We do not even have a mirror-image to judge by, and we deem our parents too superior for comparison. Therefore, some of us evaluate ourselves too lowly, others too highly.

When we are old and have seen the proof of what we were, then we rate ourselves much more accurately.

But, when we have "walked" through the genealogy that reveals the norm that our ancestors have established, then we can measure ourselves by our potential, by our dreams, and by our performance; at that time, we can know how we ran the race of life.

This knowledge is gratifying. It is good to know that we made the team.


Our early ancestors were German. They left Germany to come to Texas--specifically Texas. No other foreign land seems to have been considered. Sometimes, I try to ascribe a reason to their determination to emigrate from Germany and, more particularly, to their steadfast desire to come to Texas. I have not yet found a tangible reason. The physical discomfort, the political uncertainties, the falling economy, and the religious climate must have all weighed heavily in their decision, yet, we have all experienced similar problems without traveling up to three months to escape our problems. There seems to have been a greater force at work. I cannot shrug off the not-so-remote parallel of their emigration and that of Abraham in Genesis 12:1.

While we cousins were still in the loins of our ancestors (as The Bible calls it), the Lord seems to have said to them, both for their sakes and for ours, "Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:" just as he had directed Abraham.

I do not hereby suggest that my ancestors had a religious experience to direct them, necessarily; God did not grasp them by the arm and lead them nor direct them to Texas. He has ways that are not so apparent.

The Lord drew Jacob out of Canaan by causing a famine (Genesis 41:56-57). Then, later, he drew Jacob’s (Israel's) children out of Egypt by having the Egyptians afflict them (Exodus 3:17). When our lives become sufficiently unpleasant, humans are readily encouraged to go elsewhere.

In Germany, the many small states were ruled separately by noblemen. These states were frequently at war with each other; the citizens lost many of their freedoms; the introduction of machines drove many hand-craft workers out of work; jobs became scarce; there was not enough land for farming and the small amount available was, by custom, passed on to the oldest son (the younger children had no land rights); church groups were fighting each other through religious persecutions and even war; and government leaders (the noblemen)began to fear that their subjects, by reason of the poverty, the religious instability, and the loss of some of the freedoms that they had enjoyed, might revolt.

The noblemen solved their problem by organizing The Society for the Protection of German Immigrants to Texas at Biebrich, Germany, on April 20, 1842. It was more commonly tailed "Adelsverein" or just "Verein". With the meager capital of $80,000, they promised a veritable paradise in Texas to any Germans who would agree to emigrate there. The groundwork for this had been laid by men like Friedrich Ernst, who had obtained a land grant on the promise of bringing German immigrants to a small area near Industry, Texas, In Austin County, between- Brenham and Columbus. His accounts of the paradise In Texas were so favorably received in Germany that they were published in the newspapers there.


Under influences like this, our ancestors slowly fell into line and came to Texas. The first of our ancestors to do so was Heinrich Adam Neuse. He was the son of Johann Heinrich Wilhelm Neuse and his wife, Johanne Rien, both of Katzenstein, Germany. Johann Heinrich Wilhelm Neuse was a carpenter. He died in a fall from scaffolding at work on December 22, 1826. Heinrich Adam Neuse, his wife Johanne Christine Lange, and their three children, Carl Ernst Neuse, Heinrich, and Magdalene Neuse came from Katzenstein to Galveston on the ship Talisman. They arrived on January 1, 1846. Heinrich Adam Neuse had been a soldier in the light infantry at Gottingen.

Heinrich Adam Neuse was born November 6, 1802. He married Johanne Christine Lange at Osterode on September 3, 1826. They had three children. Carl Ernst Neuse was born March 9, 1828, at Katzenstein; Heinrich Neuse was born May 5, 1837, at Katzenstein; Magdalene Neuse was born November 18, 1842, at Katzenstein. It appears that Katzensteln is a suburb of Osterode or, perhaps, a castle. The family of five came to Galveston as mentioned above. On a smaller ship, they came to Indianola. From there, they probably walked to New Braunfels by way of present-day Victoria, Gonzales, and Seguin. Their possessions probably rode on an ox-cart. On this long march, Johanne Christine (Lange) Neuse died (1846) and was buried beside the long, hard trail. An estimated 400 immigrants died along that trail that year and about 1,000 out of 4,000 immigrants to Texas died from all causes that year. They paid an awful toll to give us a good life here. The strong survived; that made them a hardy breeding stock.

The surviving members of the Heinrich Adam Neuse family settled In an area north of New Braunfels; that community was called Neighborsville. It was In the area now referred to as the junction of Gruene Road and the Post Road. The old white stucco building on the northwest corner of that junction was known as the Neuse Store. There, on September 19, 1847, Heinrich Adam Neuse, widower with three children and at the age of 45, brought his second bride, Wilhelmine Sophie (Steinbrinq) Hagemann, widow of Christian Wilhelm Hagemann and mother of Charlotte Hagemann.

That Charlotte Hagemann, born April 25, 1834, married her step-brother, Carl Ernst Neuse, born March 9, 1828. They married in Comal County on January 28, 1853. From that union, thirteen children were born:

Henry Carl Neuse, born May 5, 1854, married Marie Schnautz on January 7, 1879;

Louise Neuse, born September 22, 1855, died single April 22, 1864;

Cacillie Neuse, born November 13, 1857, married Wilhelm Hr. Ahrens on June 20, 1880;

Wilhelm Neuse, born May 1, 1859, died single April 9, 1864;

Bertha Neuse (the first of two so-named), born November 29, 1861, died single April 14, 1864

Albert Neuse, born April 13, 1865, married Emilie Rode on January 12, 1889

Son Neuse, born April 10, 1866, died at birth;

Bertha Neuse (second of their children so-named), born May 11, 1867, married Ernst August Thormeyer on December 29, 1886 (she became our grandmother);

Louise Neuse, born April 22, 1869, married Hugo Eberhard on August 18, 1889;

Emma Neuse, born June 5, 1872, married August Bormann on May 27, 1893;

Emilie Neuse (Aunt Mimmie), born February 2, 1873, married Albert Bothmer on August 3, 1895;

Pauline Neuse, born April 22, 1876, married Herman Bothe on November 29, 1899;

Sophie Neuse, born November 16, 1877, married Ausust F Garbrecht on .


NEW BRAUNFELS ZEITUNG-SEPTEMBER 29, 1892 - CHARLOTTE NEUSE nee HAGEMANN died September 23, 1892 suddenly at 10 A.M. in New Braunfels, wife of Carl Neuse of Neighborsville, Comal County. Born April 25, 1834 Weibeck Village In Kur-Hessen came 1844 to Texas. On 28 January 1853 married merchant Carl Neuse lived close to 40 years till death a happy married life. Of 13 children (4 sons 9 daughters) 2 sons and 4 daughters preceded her In death. She drove hale and heartly last Friday to New Braunfels. Before leaving town stopped In Post Office to attend to same matters for her husband. Then about 100 yards from Post Office died suddenly of heart failure. Age 58 yrs. 5 months. Survived by husband, 2 sons, 4 daughters, and 16 grandchildren. Burial Saturday 24th In family cemetery at the side of her mother and children who had preceded her In death. Signed A. K. (Evidently the Rev. Albert Kypfer).

NEW BRAUNFELS ZEITUNG-JUNE 25, 1896- KARL NEUSE - died Sunday of heart failure. Burial was In the family cemetery on the farm.

Born 3-9-1828 at Katzenstein, Osterrode, Hanover, came with the family on the Talisman to Galveston on January 1, 1846. In 1852 he married Charlotte Hagemann. She died 4 years ago. Of 13 children born to this union 6 preceded him in death. Surviving are 20 grandchildren, 3 brothers, 1 sister.

Our line of descent in the Neuse family, then, is as .follows:

Johann Heinrich Wilhelm Neuse married Johanne Rien

born October 29, 1777 January 1, 1777

where Lasfelde, Germany Lasfelde, Germany

married August 17, 1800

where Germany

died December 22, 1826 December 25, 1817

where Katzenstein, Germany Katzenstein, Germany


Heinrich Adam Neuse married Johanne Christine Lange

born November 6, 1802 December 14, 1804

where Katzenstein, Germany Katzenstein, Germany

married September 3, 1826

where Osterode, Germany

died May 8, 1856 , 1846

where New Braunfels, Texas Indianola to Seguin


Carl Ernst Neuse married Charlotte Hagemann

born March 9, 1828 April 25, 1834

where Katzenstein, Germany Kur-Hessen, Germany

married January 28,1853

where Comal Co., Texas

died June 21, September 23, 1892

where New Braunfels, Texas New Braunfels, Texas


Ernst August Thormeyer married Bertha Neuse
born February 20, 1863 May 11, 1867
where Guadalupe Co., Texas Comal Co., Texas
married December 29, 1886
where Comal Co., Texas
died February 9, 1918 August 17, 1900
where Guadalupe Co., Texas Guadalupe Co., Texas

Willie Schubert married Charlotte Thormeyer
born September 13, 1884 January 5, 1889
where Guadalupe Co., Texas Guadalupe Co., Texas
married May 27, 1914
where Guadalupe Co., Texas
died December 30, 1973 June 26, 1979
where New Braunfels, Texas New Braunfels, Texas

Their descendent are listed on page 32.


The next of our ancestors to arrive In Texas was Wilhelm Thormeyer. He was born in Verden, Hanover, Germany, in 1826 and came to Texas on the ship Georg. He arrived at Galveston on November 4, 1851. From there, he must have sailed in a smaller ship to Indianola. This was the customary routine for German immigrants coming to New Braunfels. From there, he must have walked with a group along the Guadalupe River, going through present-day Victoria, Gonzales, and Seguin, He occupied himself In some manner in and around New Braunfels, presumably as a wagoner hauling supplies, for nearly eleven years.

Meanwhile, Wilhelm Flagge and his wife, Charlotte Flagge, and their son Adolph, who had arrived in Guadalupe County in 1847 were farming In the York Creek Community. That community lies on Farm-to-Market Road 1101. The farm is east of the old Blum School and south of the York Creek.

In the 1850 census, the record indicates that an 8-year-old boy named Ferdinand Bode was living with them. This arrangement was not unusual in that period. It usually indicated that his parents might have died (half of the immigrants in that period died, sometimes both parents). It also seems to indicate that Charlotte Flagge's maiden name might have been Bode. However, the certificate of death for Ernst A. Thormeyer shows her maiden name as Hankin.

Be that as it may, the 1860 census shows the family unit with Adolph still present and four girls added to the family -- Anna, Auguste, Amelia, and Josephine. Then, some time around 1861, Wilhelm Flagge must have died.

On February 23, 1862, Wilhelm Thormeyer, our great grandfather, married the widow Charlotte Flagge, embraced her family of five children, moved to the York Creek Community farm and began farming and siring four more children.

Thereafter, the family unit consisted of the following:

Wilhelm Thormeyer, born, 1826, married Charlotte (Bode) Flagge on February 23, 1862.

Adolph Flagge, born ,1848, married .

Anna Flagge, born, 1850, married Ernst Haner on October 23, 1871.

Josephine Flagge, born , 1854, married Herman Bading on June 13, 1878.

Auquste Flagge, born 1855, married August Klingemann on February 26, 1881.

Amelia Flagge, born 1860, married _________.

Ernst Thormeyer, born February 20, 1863, married Bertha Neuse on December 29, 1886.

Emma Thormeyer, born 1865, married August Weinert, Jr. on January 5, 1884.


Ida Thormeyer, born 1869, married Hermann Weinert on December 28, 1886.

Hedwig Thormeyer, born 1878, married ____________________.

When Hedwig Thormeyer (1878) was born, her mother, Charlotte (Bode) Flagge Thormeyer died. Little Hedwig was accepted into the family of Wilhelm Thormeyer's cousin, Ernst Thormeyer (1850) and his wife, Mina (Bormann) Thormeyer. [ This was to be repeated for another little Hedwig Thormeyer (1900) twenty two years later]. By the time she was two, this little Hedwig had been returned to Wilhelm's household.

Out of this family of nine children, we seem to have drawn Ernst Thormeyer (1863) as our next ancestor. His family was constituted as follows:

Ernst Ausust Thormeyer, born February 20, 1863, married Bertha Neuse on December 29, 1886, In the little Hortontown church still standing along Loop 337 north of New Braunfels; its cemetery lies at the feet of this tall - steepled church called St. Martin's Lutheran Church, the first Lutheran Church in Texas.


These two set up house keeping on the farm where Ernst August Thormeyer had been born. They farmed there for about five years. During these years, they produced, in addition to there farm produce, three children, all girls. Then , they moved to the farm north of Texas Highway 123 near the place where it is intersected by Barbarosa Road. The abandon house and barn are still standing in the middle of the farm and are visible from the highway. On that farm, during the next ten years, they were blessed with four more children; the children were:

Clara Thormeyer, born 1887, married William Herman Donsbach on ____.

Erna Thormeyer, born January 5, 1889, married Julius Feltner on December 18, 1909.

Charlotte "Lottie" Thormeyer , also born January 5, 1889 married William "Willie" Schubert on May 27, 1914.

Meta Thormeyer, born September 18,1893, married Chester Lamkin on ___.

Herbert A. Thormeyer, born December 2, 1893, married Vera Seay on ____.

Eddie Thormeyer, born December 2, 1897, married Frieda Stautzenberger on February 3, 1917.

Hedwig Thormeyer, born July 22, 1900 married Edward Oncken, Sr. on July ___, 1919. This little Hedwig Thormeyer's birth cost Bertha (Neuse) Thormeyer's life just as the other little Hedwig's had cost her mother's life about twenty two years earlier. And, again, her father's cousin (Melchoir Thormeyer, this time) took the little girl into the family of Melchoir and Alwine (Harborth) Thormeyer.

At this point , I would like to inject some pertinent material that is of the nature of anecdotes. Some of this will be retelling of stories that I was told as fact; other material will be the telling of incidents that I , personally , have experienced and present as fact. I will try to identify each anecdote as to hear - say or personal observation.

I found, at the Comal County Courthouse , a naturalization certificate that states, in part, "-- Wilhelm Thormeyer, having taken here in open court the oath -- to absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to every foreign prince, potentate, State + Sovereignty whatsoever and particularly to the King of Hanover, of whom he was a subject. --" It seems so strange to me that my grandfather, who presumably left Hanover , Germany , to escape the oppression he had suffered under the Kink, would at that time and that place be presumed to be continuing that loyalty, if indeed, he ever bore it at all.

I can remember only two instances of seeing my grandfather, Ernst August Thormeyer. I was only three years old at the times. In the first instant, grandpa was lying on an " army - style" cot in the "dog-trot" hallway of his home. On the floor, at the side of his cot , a regular cotton -picking sack had been spread and the sack was partly covered with bloody phlegm that he had spit up from the hemorrhaging that caused his death a few days later. Then, I remember seeing a black coffin at the time that his body was being viewed in his home; I was not invited to see his body in the coffin -- only the coffin. This oversight may have been caused by the grief that my parents felt ; you see, not only was grandpa my mother’s father, he was also one of my father’s best friends. My parents told me that, after Grandma had died from complications from childbirth, Grandpa spread out to a weight of 200- plus pounds. That filled his scan five - foot frame to the point that he could no longer tie his own shoes. But, by going to my father’s saloon in Geronimo by buggy he could always find a friend to tie his shoes.

My father told me also that Grandpa liked to play cards with his friends at the saloon. He never did learn to speak English. In their favorite game of cards, the winner would throw down his cards and say, ‘That will do ‘em" When Grandpa was the winner, he would announce loudly, Dattle ___". * ( my copy of the remark was not legible)

I have heard from a number of sources that when Clara in her thirteenth year, her mother died. Suddenly, she was responsible for the cooking, the laundry by rub-board, house cleaning, the needle work, the gardening, and the rearing of the five younger children. Fortunately , a lady by the name of Dittfurth decided to help her by teaching her and her sisters the essentials of housekeeping ( as practiced in those days ) Once a week, Clara and her sisters would trudge up the hill to the Dittfurth house on the next farm. They all learned practical housekeeping through lectures and by doing it.

In addition to learning to be good housekeepers, Clara found * the friendship of Alma Dittfurth, the kind instructor’s daughter, -- a friendship that Alma * maintained until Clara’s death; the other girls became efficient enough to gain invitations to extended visits to the homes of relatives. There , they were paid for housework so that they could buy cloth to sew their own clothing under the instruction and the supervision of the older female relatives. That was how the pioneer spirit worked among the German families in Texas.

Erna was Lottie’s older twin. Erna was the first to marry. She gave Ernst August Thormeyer his first grandchild, a grandchild also names Ernst. He as handsome and a talented child. The picture on his tombstone in the cemetery at Zorn still attests to the fact that he was handsome even though the picture has been exposed to the weather for more than 75 years. Erna was the most out-going, the most social-minded, the most talented, the most versatile, the most charismatic of Grandpa's children. I observed this, and also that she was brave enough and strong enough to do target shooting with a cowboy-type .45 revolver that sounded like a small cannon.

Lottie, the younger twin, was always the hungry one and the snaky one, I have been told often. As the children would be trudging reluctantly toward the field to pick cotton or do other types of field work, Lottie would lag a bit, dodge into the smoke house, snatch a sausage off the hangers, and eat it as she trailed the others toward the field.

Lottie was the last of her family to learn to speak English to non-family members. Even then, It was haltingly and clumsily done. My brothers and I were amused and surprised to hear her speak English to our neighbors near Clear Spring when she was In her mid-thirties; we would have wagered that she could not do it.

Most of the following, I learned first-hand. Meta spent most of her life serving people not of her own family. She did the housework, other than the cooking, in the homes of the wealthy. She was very popular as restaurant waitress wherever she went; she seemed to sense what would please her dining patrons. Meta was the first to learn to live in a city environment. She was the last to marry. When Meta served as a maid in the Edward Steves home on King William Street in San Antonio, she obtained special permission and served Lottie and her family (that included me ) dinner in that fine home, such as she was accustomed to serving to the Steves' family. The large linen napkins in heavy silver napkin rings, the many knives, forks, and spoons; the many separate courses; and the large table proved to be too much for our farm family. After dinner, she took us out to the bath house next to the San Antonio River (it flowed along the edge of the Steve’s' yard). She showed us the large indoor swimming pool with the water flowing out of the wall, high above the pool. To us, it all seemed to be part of the Arabian Nights. Why not? That was as far above our financial status as Arabia is from the United States--at least as far--at the very least. Meta's married life was short-lived; she lived most of her life alone and away from relatives. She kept in touch by writing and by making two- or three-day visits to the relative families.

Herbert and Vera's first home was a back room in the home of Erna and Julius, That was not an unusual arrangement for newly-married In those days. I was there. Erna served as a substitute for the mother that Herbert no longer had; according to the tradition of that day, they would have lived in Herbert's family home if there had still been one, Herbert was a substitute mail-carrier during all of his work-a-day life, it was his career. He began this career by delivering mail on horseback through mud too deep even for a Model-T Ford, In those days, farm-country roads were not paved, not graveled, not even graded to shed the water into ditches. The horse that he rode for that job was Erna's saddle horse, even the saddle was hers. She rode on a Western type saddle--no side-saddle for her.

This report came straight form the horse's mouth--Herbert's, When he and Vera were married at the "Friedens Kircke" near Geronimo, he thought that he could avoid the embarrassment of asking how much to pay the preacher by handing him a twenty-dollar bill and waiting for the change. Naturally, he received no change. Twenty dollars was a lot of money in those days. Well, the marriage lasted until "death dost us part".

Not only did I experience this, I was the victim. Eddie was always a trickster. Once when I, in my early teens, made a night truck trip to Austin with him, he let me sleep in the cab until the warehouses opened the next day. As he was making the last delivery after daylight had arrived, he slyly revealed to me that I had slept the night next to a "dead man's overcoat." He was referring to the coffin that had been stacked on the other side of the cab wall while I was sleeping--I nearly needed a "dead man's overcoat".

Eddie had a keen, inventive mind; many have told me stories of incidents like this; always, he sought the opportunity to "grandstand". When he had to deliver items hard to load or to unload from a truck, he would invent an easy way. For example, In loading heavy, filled barrels or drums, he would wrap a few turns of two ropes around them and make them roll up a ramp as he pulled the loose ends of the ropes; unloading was even easier. He rarely missed a chance to surprise his fellow workers, or anyone, or even his nephew.

For this one, I have to rely on hearsay. Hedwig was taken into the family of Melchoir and Alwine (Harborth) Thormeyer because her mother had died about a month after she was born. She lived in her adopted home near Gonzales until she married. When Hedwig was reaching maturity there, she would enliven the visits of her blood brothers and sisters by treating them to a relaxing bath in a large metal tank filled and overflowing with water from a free-flowing hot mineral spring at Ottine, Texas, now Palmetto State Park and Warm Springs Foundation there for the treatment of people having crippling diseases. To these farm-bound people, this must have seemed like something out of a fairy tale.

This I experienced. On a visit to Hedwig’s house in Port Arthur where she lived with her husband and their three children, my brother Woodrow and I discovered two "rich people's" foods that really impressed us--goose liversausage and mayhaw jelly. As preparations were being made for our family to return home to New Braunfels early one morning, Hedwig and Lottie were busy working and even busier getting their final visiting done German style. Both were talking at the same time and neither was listening. At thistime, Hedwig asked Woodrow and me what we would like In our sandwiches for the road. I answered, "Goose liver sausage and mayhaw jelly." Both Hedwig and Lottie closed their ears again and slapped sandwiches together. At noon, my father stopped just off the road in the shade of a tree. Woodrow and I were starving as usual and arguing as to whether they wanted to start with the goose liver sausage sandwiches or the mayhaw jelly sandwiches, Have you ever tasted goose liver sausage and mayhaw jelly in the same sandwich?

In those days, travel was slow and tedious, yet, we found the opportunity to visit our relatives occasionally; now, we have labor-saving devices, high speed automobiles, good highways, shorter work days, and more money but rarely find occasion for familial visits. Did we lose something?

Our line of descent in the Thormeyer family then is:

Wilhelm Thormeyer married Charlotte Flagge
Born 1825 1825
Where Verden, Hanover, Germany Markoldendorf, Germany
Married February 23, 1862
Where Comal Co., Texas
Where Guadalupe Co., Texas Guadalupe Co., Texas

Ernst August Thormeyer married Bertha Neuse
Born February 20, 1863 May 16, 1867
Where Guadalupe Co., Texas Comal Co., Texas
Married December 29, 1886
Where Comal Co., Texas
Died February 9, 1918 August 17, 1900
Where Guadalupe Co., Texas Guadalupe Co., Texas

Charlotte Thormeyer married Willie Schubert
Born January 5, 1889 September 13, 1884
Where Guadalupe Co., Texas Guadalupe Co., Texas
Married May 27, 1914
Where Guadalupe Co., Texas
Died June 26, 1979 December 30, 1973
Where New Braunfels, Texas New Braunfels, Texas

Their descendants are listed on page 32 at the end of this article.


The next of our ancestors to arrive in Texas creates a dilemma for me in presenting a time-frame for her arrival. The family in question Is the Lockstedt family. Christiane Lockstedt came to Texas on December 18,1853, and became our grandmother; but to start at the beginning, I need to tell about her grandfather's arrival.

Friedrich Lockstedt with his wife, Wilhelmine (Jager) Lockstedt, and their daughter Louise Lockstedt came from Bremen, Germany, aboard the ship Eliza Charlotte to Galveston, Texas, arriving there on October 13, 1846.

It seems that they proceeded to Indianola and then to New Braunfels in the manner adopted by the German immigrants of that period.

Thus, the first contingent of this family to arrive in Texas consisted of:

Friedrich Lockstedt, born __________ , 1798, at Holzminden an der Weser, Brunswick, Germany, married Wilhelmine Jager, born ___________ , 1800, in Holzminden, also.

They brought with them Louise Lockstedt, born _________ ,1830, at Holzminden, married Christian Drubert on June 19, 1850, in Comal County,Texas.

This immigration had been arranged, originally, on May 4, 1846, by their sponsor, L. Mittendorf, and provided that their son, Heinrich Lockstedt, should also accompany them on this voyage. This did not came to pass. Heinrich Lockstedt's daughter Wilhelmine was born that year and it would have been too arduous a journey for an infant to take and he did not want to leave his family. After two more births, he was able to synchronize a sailing time with a mid-pregnancy and they sailed with the seventh passenger to be delivered at sea.

So it happened that Heinrich Fredrich Conrad Lockstedt and his wife, Christiane Johanne Sophie Mahlmann Lockstedt, and their four children came from Bremen, Germany, on the ship Texas to arrive at Galveston, Texas, on December 18, 1853, with five children.

This second group of Lockstedts then was finally composed of:

Heinrich Lockstedt, born November 14, 1821, at Holzminden an der Weser, Brunswick, Germany, married Christiane Mahlmann, born January 2, 1816, at Holzminden, also. [In 1876, Heinrich married Catharina Schriever as his second wife.]

Caroline Lockstedt, born January 14, 1843, at Holzminden, married Heinrich Gold on August 28, 1860.

Wilhelmine Lockstedt, born September 26, 1845, at Holzminden, married Ferdinand Beicker on November 10, 1861. (Wilhelmine is buried in the Hortontown Cemetery, NE section )

Christiane Lockstedt, born September 4, 1847 at Horzminden, married Eduard Schubert on February 12, 1865. Eduard and Christiane are buried in the Lone Oak Cemetery outside of Geronimo, Texas.

Johanne Lockstedt , born 1851, at Holzminden, married Heinrich Salge on May 3, 1868.

Louise Lockstedt, born 1853, in Texas (actually aboard ship), married Wilhelm Giesecke on June 5, 1871.

Heinrich Lockstedt, born in 1857, in Texas, married Minna Jahns on December 17, 1881.

Friedrich Lockstedt, born May, 1860, in Texas, married Alwine Boenig on January 2, 1886.

Of those listed above, Christiane (Lockstedt) Schubert became our grandmother. She bore twelve children, all alive, and all outlived her. The twelve consisted of eight sons and four daughters. All of them married, all had children except Minna, and all lived to a ripe age of sixty eight to ninety six. She spent her last years in the home of Minna Kirmse, her sixth child, and died there May 7, 1930, at the age of eighty two. Seven of her children lived to a greater age than she did.

Her household consisted of:

Christiane (Lockstedt) Schubert and her husband EduardSchubert from Hoxter, Nord Rhein-Westfaten, Germany.

Albert Schubert, born July 14, 1866, married Minna Enqelke.

Ernst Schubert, born February 7, 1868, married Emma Behrendt on January 25, 1896.

Carl (Charlie) Schubert, born August 31, 1870, married Bertha Hummel first and, after her death, he married Alma Emma Merz.

Mary Schubert, born March 10, 1873, married William Derham first, then, after his death, she married Oliver Scott, and, after his death, she married Jim Oliver.

Edward Schubert, born May 26, 1874, married Emilie Loep.

Minna Schubert, born February 3, 1876, married Adolph Kirmse after the death of his first wife, Minna Kloepper,

August Schubert, born January ____, 1878, married Ida Merz.

Emma Christiane Schubert, born March 3, 1880, married Friedrich (Fritz) Merz.

Otto Schubert, born November 19, 1881, married Adele Marie Merz on November 22, 1902, first. Then, after her death, he married Emma Beyer.

Willle Schubert, born September 13, 1884, married Olga Heinemeyer first; after her death, he married Charlotte (Lottie) Thormeyer on May 27, 1914.

Henry Schubert, born May 24, 1886, married Anna Beyer.

Lina Schubert, born in Guadalupe Co. Texas on May 24,1888 married Robert (Bob) Dolle.

Our line of descent in the Lockstedt family, then, is as follows:

Friedrich Lockstedt married Wilhelmine Jager
Born , 1798 , 1800
Where Holzminden, Germany Holzminden, Germany
Married ____
Where Holzminden, Germany
Where Comal Co., Texas Comal Co., Texas

Heinrich Lockstedt married Christiane Mahlmann
Born November 14, 1821 January 2, 1816
Where Holzminden, Germany Holzminden, Germany
Where Holzminden, Germany
Died May 20, 1881 May 5, 1874
Where Neighborsville, Texas Neighborsville, Texas

Christiane Lockstedt married Carl Eduard Schubert
Born September 14, 1847 June 21, 1836
Where Holzminden, Germany Hoxter, Germany
Married February 12, 1865
Where St. Martin's Church, Hortontown, Texas
Died May 7, 1930 February 12, 1923
Where New Braunfels, Texas Geronimo, Texas
Burial Lone Oak Cemetery , Geronimo, Texas

Willie Schubert married Charlotte Thormeyer
Born September 13, 1884 January 5, 1889
Where Guadalupe Co., Texas Guadalupe Co., Texas
Married May 27, 1914
Where Guadalupe Co., Texas
Died December 30, 1973 June 26, 1979
Where New Braunfels, Texas New Braunfels, Texas

Their descendants are listed on page 32.


This segment of our ancestry came to Texas later than the others. The Neuses had been among the early colonists of Prince Solms and the Verein. They had suffered the hardships, the deprivations, and the mass illness (believed to have been Petechial Fever, now better known as Epidemic

Cerebro-Spinal Meningitis). The elder Lockstedts had arrived In time to obtain a grant of land in the Fisher-Miller Grant northwest of Fredericksburg. They sold it without trying to settle there. The Thormeyers had come to Texas after the Verein had failed. The younger Lockstedts and the Schuberts arrived later and in that order. The younger Lockstedts came to be with his parents, as they had planned earlier. The Schuberts responded to a different stimulus, it seems. Grandpa explained it to his children, and my father to me.

Before my great grandfather, Carl Wilhelm Schubert, died, he had enrolled our grandpa, Carl Eduard Schubert, as an apprentice to a shoe maker. Reportedly, Grandpa made outstanding progress and was the first to complete his masterpiece, a pair of shoes of a quality good enough to qualify him to be a master (or teacher of apprentices) in his own right.

At about that time, Carl Wilhelm Schubert died and Grandpa returned home to be head of the house. As the oldest son (primogeniture), he inherited all of his father's possessions.

Further, at about that time, the local Catholic priests began to point out to his mother what a wonderful priest Grandpa would make and that there just happened to be an opening in the seminary for Grandpa's preparation. The

family was Catholic and so Grandpa was sent to seminary. Priests took a vow of poverty, so, in contemplation of Grandpa's acceptance into the priesthood and his upcoming divestiture of property to fulfill the vow of poverty, the priests began to explain to his widowed mother how the Church accepts the farm and then provides the family's needs from Church funds.

Meanwhile, Grandpa was being as fast a learner as usual and learned of the woes of family after family which had allowed the Church to take its property and to depend on it for its everyday needs. During his next visit home, he told his mother what he had discovered.

Quickly, great grandma, Maria (Spieker) Schubert, sold the property secretly, sewed the coins into her garments, gathered her two sons, and secretly escaped to Texas. ["Secretly" is not an exaggeration; in 1856, she married Frederick Schulze and used Maria Spieke as her name instead

of Schubert. This seems to be an attempt to hide her true identity from someone. I cannot be sure but It seems that she still believed that she was hiding from the Church. I cannot forget that during those times, the Catholic Church could make and break kings.

None of this was considered "make believe" by Grandpa nor by our father. To me, it appears that God was merely saying, "Eduard, come away from here to a new land that I want to show you.' And, do not suppose that I am condemning the Catholic Church. At first, all believers in God were Jews; God took the Christians out and led them to Europe; He had much work there for them. Their part in getting Grandpa to Texas seems to have been an important part in God's work. But, that is enough preaching for the moment.

Great grandma, Maria (Spieker) Schubert and her two sons, Eduard Schubert and Gustav Schubert, arrived at Galveston on the ship Franziska in 1854. From there, they went to Indianola on a smaller ship. There, they met the Heinrich Lockstedt family which included the six-year-old girl who seems to have been destined to become Eduard's wife eleven years late and eventually, our grandmother. (These old movie reruns are much easier to understand than they were when they first came out. I would never have guessed that that little girl would be our grandma if I had been there, then.)

It seems that the Lockstedts were waiting for the weather to warm up and for ox carts to become available. Reportedly, these two families shared an ox cart for their possessions and the people walked along beside them all the way to New Braunfels. The weather must have been suitable; they reported no serious illnesses. The Lockstedts seem to have located in Guadalupe County just southeast of Freiheit. The Schuberts appear to have settled in New Braunfels and I believe that Eduard worked as a shoemaker as the census indicates.

In the 1860's, Eduard enlisted in the Comal Horse Guard in the Neighborsville community near New Braunfels. Reports indicate that he also drove supply wagons during the Civil War. The Confederate Forces were pretty much in control this area.

Eduard Schubert married Christiane Lockstedt February 12, 1865, in St. Martin's Church in Hortontown. That church stands in its cemetery just north of New Braunfels, even now, on Loop 337. The back of the church building (northwest outside corner) provides a very good display of Fachwerk construction so common in early New Braunfels.

Eduard soon engaged in farming near New Braunfels and gravitated more and more toward Seguin. He established his homestead farm south of Lone Oak Cemetery west of Geronimo. That farm is bounded on three sides by Huber Road to the east, Link Road to the south, and the road to Barbarosa by way of Lone Oak cemetery (107A Barbarosa) as the west boundary. The residence/farm house still sits In the middle of the farm.

Grandpa and Grandma had twelve children -- eight sons and four daughters. Those German farmers knew how to avoid the huge expense of buying slaves to get the farm work done. They must have prospered; the land is still owned by some of their descendants.

Their family shaped up like this:

Eduard Schubert, born June 21, 1836, at Hoxter, Germany, married Christiane Lockstedt, born September 4, 1847, at Holzminden, Germany, February 12, 1865.

Albert Schubert, born July 14, 1866, in Comal Co., Texas, married Minna Engelke.

Ernst Schubert, born February 7, 1868, in Comal Co., Texas, married Emma Behrendt.

Carl (Charlie) Schubert, born in Guadalupe Co., Texas, on August 31, 1870, married Bertha Hummel. After her death, hemarried Alma Emma Merz.

Mary Schubert, born in Guadalupe Co., Texas, on March 10, 1873, married William Derham; after his death, she married Oliver Scott; and after his death, she married Jim Oliver.

Edward Schubert, born in Guadalupe Co. , Texas , on May 26, 1874 , married Emilie Loep.

Minna Schubert , born in Guadalupe Co. , Texas, on February 3, 1876, married Adolph Kirmse after the death of his first wife, Minna Kloepper.

August Schubert, born In Guadalupe Co., Texas, on January , 1878, married Ida Merz.

Emma Schubert, born in Guadalupe Co., Texas, on March 3, 1880, married Friedrich (Fritz) Merz.

Otto Schubert , born in Guadalupe Co., Texas, on November 19, 188l, married Adele Marie Mertz, and after her death, he ,married Emma Beyer.

William (Willle) Schubert, born in Guadalupe Co., Texas, on September 13, 1884, married Olga Heinemeyer first. After her death, he married Charlotte (Lottie) Thormeyer.

Henry Schubert, born in Guadalupe Co., Texas, on May 24, 1886, married Anna Beyer.

Lina Schubert, born in Guadalupe Co., Texas, on February ,1888, married Robert (Bob) Dolle.

Our Schubert ancestors lived long lives. Grandma lived to be eighty two; Grandpa lived to be eighty six ; their children lived to be from sixty eight to ninety six years of age with an average age of eighty four.

Our grandmother, Christiane (Lockstedt) Schubert, that six-year-old girl who waited on the seashore in Indianola for her parents to take her into the strange wilderness of Texas, either had or developed such an equanimity that she seemed to never worry about how things would turn out and she seems to have transmitted that calmness to many of her descendants.

Our grandfather, Eduard Schubert, seems to have had or developed the capability to analyze problems and to find solutions. He transmitted this capability to many of his descendants , but not before he had amply enjoyed the benefits thereof himself. Let me explain:

On one of the freighting trips across the prairie, Grandpa noticed a small band of Indians sneaking through the tall grass in a route parallel to the plodding course of the ox carts. They seemed to be waiting to jump the freighters while they were bedded down for the night. He quietly

signaled for an early stop. The men unyoked the oxen as usual. But this time, Grandpa soaked a blanket with kerosene, tied it to the tail of the tamest ox, set the blanket afire, and slapped the ox into a lope toward the lurking Indians. The ox made a large sweep through the grass and returned to the carts, but, as Grandpa had planned, he had set fire to the grass on a wide front that burned toward the Indians. The Indians quickly remembered an appointment elsewhere.

On another freighting trip, after the men had been plodding through barely-charted desert for days without seeing anyone but fellow drivers, Grandpa's eyes fell on the large barrels of whiskey on the carts and he had an impish idea. He told his fellow drivers, in a boastful manner, that, after supper, he would produce a quart of top quality whiskey for them to share with him. They, of course, scoffed at his boast and that added zest to his plan. Grandpa relished the attention he was getting. At the right moment and with great showmanship, he pulled an empty quart whiskey bottle from his duffel bag, held it high to show that it was empty, and filled it to the top with water from the water bags. Then, he mounted the cart carrying the large barrels of whiskey. He removed the bung from the belly of a barrel. Most visibly verified that the level of the whiskey was just below the level of the hole, upended the bottle of water through the bunghole, and made the motions usually associated with acts of magic. As his friends watched, the water clearness receded in the bottle as it was being replaced by the golden color of the whiskey from the top. When the bottle had just lost all of its clear contents, Grandpa pulled the bottle up and quickly righted a full quart of top quality whiskey before their eyes. The after-supper drinks were passed among the delighted freighters.

Grandpa had scored again. It seems that he was aware of the fact that water is heavier than whiskey and that ordinary water and whiskey do not blend. The heavier water flowing out of the bottle caused a vacuum effect that siphoned the lighter whiskey into the bottle.

Many of us who descend from these talented people enjoy the twin blessings of a relatively calm disposition and an inventive turn of mind to call upon both for business and for pleasure.

Thus, our line of descent In the Schubert family is:

Johann Friedrich Schubert, born in Hoxter, Germany, October 9, 1710 (his christening date), married Maria Magdelena Ostmann on April 28, 1739.

Johannes Wilhelm Schubert, born in Hoxter, Germany, January 23, 1746, married Ernestine Rotermund.

Carl Wilhelm Schubert, born in Hoxter, Germany, February 11, 1796, married Johanne Marie Martha Spieker on November 1, 1831.

Carl Eduard Schubert, born in Hoxter, Germany, June 21, 1836, married Christiane Lockstedt on February 12, 1865.

William (Willie) Schubert, born in Guadalupe Co., Texas, on September 13, 1884, married Charlotte (Lottie) Thormeyer on May 27, 1914.

Page 32 ( list of current decendents private)

* due to a copying defect, I was unsure about these words

Also noted is the fact that the majority of this document was scanned and although proofing and editing occurred, there may still be a need for further proofing.

The author of these writings are identified in the contents of this document. The original materials as reflected here were made available by other family members. These documents are also on file at the:

Sophienburg Museum and Archives
401 W. Coll St.
New Braunfels, Texas 78130

If you have comments or suggestions email me at jack0204@yahoo.com


Surnames of Marvin Schubert

Date this page was last edited 09/30/10